Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Intracoastal Observer 1 and 2 by Bryan Collins



Art should always involve some element of challenge. There should always be some sort of push, not always to be "better" but in the least, to stay fresh. When a collector requested that I make a pair of commissions in a style that I hadn't worked in for years I was uncertain if I could pull off what he was asking for. He sent me images that I had made in the past where I drew with ink over watercolor and said he wanted two larger pieces made this way. Up to this point I had only attempted this technique in 5x7 inch size. We were looking at 11x17 here and I felt like I was being asked to build a skyscraper. I consider myself somewhat of a micro artist, usually working pretty small, but the challenge seemed exciting. It's good to see art as an adventure. Each piece is a trip where you should expect to discover something new. With that viewpoint I accepted the job and came up with these two pieces based on his list of wildlife and suggested juxtaposition.




Prints of both pieces are available in my Etsy shop HERE.
In-progress pics of these pieces can be seen in Instagram @UseEveryColor

What challenges are you facing today? Comment below to share them.

No comments: