Monday, November 18, 2013

The Walking Dead blank cover illustration



Art life is a roller coaster like any other career, obsession, or hobby. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes anticipatory, and sometimes you ask yourself why you ever got on the ride in the first place. A couple of months ago I had been going through some soul searching and had been drudging through commissions and deadlines that were leaving me exhausted and dry. That was until I received an email from a collector of mine who asked how I felt about creating a cover on his blank Walking Dead #109 issue.

The timing was fantastic, as I had just picked up a new set of Sakura Pigma Micron pens and was itching to use them. I'm also a Walking Dead fan, admittedly I've only seen the TV series and never read the comic, but either way I was eager to accept this project. I grew up on comic books and ink was the first medium I developed a relationship with. This illustration really took me back to my roots on many levels and knocked me out of the funk I was in. Creating this artwork was a refreshing reminder to enjoy the ride. The above image shows the final inked drawing on the comic book that I sent back to the collector. Another one is in the works, so stay tuned!

Bryan

No comments: