Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Climber Bear 11"x14" Acrylic Painting

Here's a strange and interesting story for you!

Commissions are the most rewarding when the client says "do whatever you want", and you know they really mean it. Of course, one should still consider the client's personality, interests, location where the painting will be displayed, and other factors. This is one of the afore mentioned situations where I was given total freedom to create any type of painting I wanted, and it really panned out.


After weeks of thought, I decided to make this Climber Bear painting. The client spent some time living in Colorado and now resides in Florida where he's part owner of a rock climbing gym. The prevalence of bears in both states, and the climbing connection to Colorado and the gym, and his overall vibe led me toward this idea.

Here's the strange part. When I delivered the painting to the client, his reaction was hard to read at first. He seemed to love the art, but there was something else in his face that I couldn't' decipher. He struggled for words, then said, "Want to know what's crazy? My Native American spirit animal is a bear, and my wife and I were just saying if we have a son we want to name him Bear!" He was blown away that I chose an animal that was so important to his family. After sleepless nights hoping he would like the art, I rested easily, knowing he would treasure the painting.


Wow! I love it when things like this happen, certainly because they don't happen too often, but because it means the client gets affirmation of the creative process, he gets a painting with a unique story, and I get to move forward in my artistic journey with hope and new faith.

God bless,
Bryan

useeverycolor.com


No comments: