Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Art Tip Tuesday #1

Today I am starting a new series here on my blog that I hope you will find useful. I plan to cover techniques, supplies, social media habits, art related websites, and more. The best way to get the most out of this is to email me with what you really want me to cover and I will do my best to help out. Send your questions or requests for tips to bryan@useeverycolor.com

Art Tip Tuesday #1

Consistency via Routine

Rather than starting with a technique tip I want to start with something that is probably the biggest obstacle for any artist: Getting focused. I'm often asked about how or where I get inspiration. We are all inspired by so many things, but how do we turn that inspiration into art? Being consistent as an artist is the best way to get better at it, but being consistent can be a challenge. Doctors will tell you that the best way to get a good night's sleep is by developing a routine just before bed. This puts your mind on track for relaxation and rest. When I am finding it hard to get in the creative mood I often put this theory into action for making art. Sometimes something as simple as brewing some tea each time before you draw will do the trick. Once this becomes your routine, you will begin thinking about art each time you go through the motions of making tea. Perhaps even if you are out and see someone else drinking tea it will put you in the mood to draw.

There are a variety of actions that can build an associative mental link to art. For you it could be walking a lap or two around your house, putting laundry in the dryer, closing your eyes for the entire duration of a favorite song, showering, or preparing a snack to have out while you work. Regardless of the routine, just make sure you do it often before your sit down to paint or draw, even if you don't think you need inspiration that day, because later when you do need a motivator you will find that the routine will certainly reconnect your mind with a creative place. What other things do you find helpful to get in the artistic mood?

Bryan

Get originals and prints at http://www.bryancollins.etsy.com


No comments: